Decisions are essential to finding
happiness
Success has always been a real
challenge for the human being, it is a path that is full of triumphs and
defeats that are the result of our decisions. Every decision you make will, to
some extent, change your life since even the simple act of not making a
decision is a decision, which will bring consequences to your life. In this
sense, achieving your dreams and goals depend on the decisions you make, and
these depend on the diversity of the situations you are going through.
Successful people in history such as Walt Disney, J.K Rowling, the Beatles, and
Einstein were able to transcend in time and transform our history by showing us
that perseverance, discipline, and sacrifices allow us to succeed. They did not
succeed at their first attempt. They had to go through the hard way, where each
wrong decision and mistake were crucial for them to become the best. For
instance, the imagination of Walt Disney was depreciated by the companies at
the time; many editors in the United Kingdom rejected J.K Rowling’s work since
she was a woman; the Beatles’ music was defined by a producer as lackluster; and
Einstein was not able to produce a single word until he was six years old.
These stories have proved that life is not easy and that you must refuse to
relinquish your dreams and make efforts to achieve them. During my life, little
by little I am striving to follow my dream: dedicating my life to literature
and being bilingual or even polyglot so that I would be able to comprehend
wonderful stories and cultures through literature and writing. Just like J.K.
Rowling or the Beatles, I will be able to make my dream of becoming a
philologist come true. Even though learning another language has not been easy,
it has not been impossible either. Each mistake I have made during this process
has been meaningful for my experience since they have allowed me to recognize
that I can achieve any goal that I set. Taking this opportunity, I want to show
you how learning a foreign language has improved and changed my life.
To begin
with, it is necessary to explain how my dreams were born. Literature has been a
fundamental part of my life, especially during my childhood. When I was a
child, I read several books which have a special meaning in my life. That is
how I discovered that literature is the best way of finding happiness. Hence, I
decided to dedicate my life somehow to literature. It was at this point that I
started searching for a bachelor’s degree that could allow me to have contact
with literature. In my searching, I found that education and philology were the
key I needed to find my happiness, especially the last one. Philology would
help me to understand the power that languages have over our life as human
beings and would make me realize that speaking a language does not only imply a
communicative process, but it is also essential for us. Being able to
comprehend the importance of a language throughout history, society, and
especially human creativity is fascinating for me. In other words, it feels
like discovering other universes. These thoughts and motivations were the ones
that took me to make the decision of learning another language and the reason
why I am here, at this moment of my life, learning the English language in a
different way from the one I had imagined.
Despite of my
aspirations, life put another option in front of me: Education as an
alternative way of reaching my dreams. In high school, I had the opportunity to
study at a Normal school, a specialized institution for teacher training while
in high school. At that time, I lived in Barranquilla, but after I graduated
from the high school,
my family and I decided to move to Neiva. I wanted to study philology;
nevertheless, due to the recent change of residency, our economic condition
made it impossible for me to join a university in Bogota. It is here where I
took one of the best decisions of my life which consisted in following my
dreams through education; even though I did not feel comfortable with the idea
of training to be a teacher. However, being here and living all the experiences
the ELT program has offered me has completely changed my perspective about
education. As soon as I arrived here in Neiva, I had the opportunity to join
the “Escuela Normal Superior de Neiva”; besides, I decided to complete my
training as a teacher, thinking sometimes that it would be temporary. Furthermore,
as I learned another language in an institute, I also trained myself to join
the university where I wanted to study. But something changed my perspective: The
Normal School of Neiva taught me that the teachers are fundamental for
society due to the fact that it is the only profession that can transform
people’s realities and future. Moreover, the most important experience that I
had in this stage of my life was learning about research, which helped me to
develop and improve my skills, especially my critical and reflective thinking.
I learned to look at reality from another perspective: to see beyond what is
perceptible so that I could help and search strategies to improve and solve
problematics using teaching as a tool. Finally, I understood that the teaching
and research processes could be fun and could change others’ lives. Thus, discovering
the essence of education and the importance of the language helped me to follow
my dreams by joining a university where I could study languages.
It is
important to mention that although I have had the opportunity to grow
personally and professionally, learning a foreign language has not been easy.
This process has represented a real challenge for me since I have had to deal
with stress, anxiety, but also enjoyable situations. Then, I had the
opportunity to study philology but as I mentioned before, my family’s economic
circumstances at the time did not allow me to move to another city.
Consequently, the only option that I had left to be closer to get my dream was
to study English language teaching at Universidad Surcolombiana. Since the
moment I joined this university I knew this would not be easy because I felt
insecure and uncomfortable with my English level in comparison to my classmates
who have a better level and knowledge than I did. I felt as though I was
walking on a tightrope. During this process, I have gone through moments that
have made me think that I am not able to learn another language, or in some
cases, I have felt like I am in the wrong place, taking another's place. However,
when I decide to start something, I must take it to an end. If I had to
eliminate a word of my personality, this would be “resigned”. In spite of that,
I have always felt uncomfortable knowing that I do not have the advanced level
that I am supposed to have, but I have tried to solve and overcome each
difficulty with effort and discipline. At the end of the day, at my own pace, I
know I will make it no matter what. In addition, it is normal to feel anxiety,
impotence, and stress when you have not developed your capacity and skills at
the same level as others. At this point, I comprehended that we are not born
with the same abilities and skills and that everyone advances at their own
pace. Hence, I understood the importance of losing. It is curious that for most
people, losing is the end, but for me losing could be a synonym of
"winning" because each defeat or mistake could be the opportunity to
persevere and improve yourself. Besides, during this process, I have tried to
be more persistent and disciplined, bearing in mind that I must improve.
Perhaps the negative things could be good for your life in the sense that you
can always learn something from whatever the outcome is. You must persevere
until the end to achieve your dreams as in the case of Walt Disney or J.K
Rowling who never stopped believing they would accomplish their dreams and find
happiness.
This journey
has made me recognize my strengths and weaknesses. I have grown as a person
because now I am able to face my fears. I can say that I have more knowledge
than yesterday. I am a proactive, creative, critical and reflective thinking
person who can create an appropriate research project for reality and show
another way to see education through research. Besides, I can recognize my
reality and its problems by trying to take advantage of all the opportunities
that life provides me so that I can use these for the benefit of others.
Additionally, I learned to recognize the best aspects of all people who are
around me and try to learn about them. I also learned to be more independent,
not only in the academic field but also in my work life since I could obtain my
first job experience. Nonetheless, the most important aspect that changed my
life has been the fact of discovering the power of perseverance and facing the
challenges to achieve my dreams in a positive way.
At this
moment, I am in the middle of the way to achieve my dreams. I know that I will
be able to be a philologist; perhaps, not only in English but even in French or
German. I feel philology is what I really want because it is this what can
allow me to explore another language and dedicate my life to literature as I
have always wished. Finally, I want to finish this paper by acknowledging that
the best decision I have ever made is to study a foreign language.
Comments
Post a Comment