Journal I
Journal I
Meeting
One of the purposes of being a teacher is to encourage students to learn. It is the commonest task as a teacher; however, it is difficult when you as a teacher do not know who your students are and what their needs and interests are. My first thought was how proper the lesson plan that I did was for a population to which I have never taught before? Since this was my first time teaching to young learners and adults.
During these two weeks of adaptation, it is important to highlight the identification of the institution that I will teach during this semester. The SENA is an institution recognized at the national level, it is one of the most important public educational institutions for technical education in different professional fields. Besides, they have another perspective of the education system, which is based on competences; likewise, their assessment system is different and their way of teaching is more focused on practice than on theory. This instruction process is carried out during two years, time in which they get the necessary skills and knowledge to get a job.
Carrying out my first teaching practicum here is a challenge for me because as a teacher, I have to adapt according to the students’ needs but also the institution’s and I have to find a way to teach a new language for a specific purpose. In fulfilling this process, my first practicum is based on recognizing who my students are; thus, I could realize that they are people who have to improve and learn every day. I not only met students who are active participants, creative, intelligent, and curious but also I could perceive people who are here for obligation rather than because they like the idea. I perceive the last ones as a teaching challenge in which I have the task to change their perspective, at least in the moment of my class. I think I can change their attitude and motivate them to learn.
As said before, this is my first time having the experience of teaching to young and adult learners. For that reason, I take into account the importance of stabilizing the teacher-student relationship always highlighting the importance of respect. For the first time, I set the rules in the class. I let students know that my main purpose in this process is one based on cooperative learning, where I could learn about their field of expertise and they could learn English according to their needs and interests. In this sense, during the class, I could identify what is their perspective of a good teacher: the one who is able to be patient, responsible and dynamic in class; who has well-grounded knowledge; who is adaptable to the group; and who does not overload work on students. Attitudes that I will be taking into account for this experience.
Journal II
Discovering my challenges
In my life, I had the opportunity to work with several populations from different contexts. each group had a particularity in terms of attitude, beliefs, and culture and the population of my practicum is not the exception. At SENA I am in charge of teaching two technical education groups, each one different from one another. On the one hand, one of my groups is about computer maintenance with a total of 22 students, the majority of them are men and there are only 2 women. Despite the number of men, it is nice to give a class in this group because there are active participants, cheerful, cooperative, and responsible in class. I enjoy making a class with this group. On the other hand, the other group is about software programming and their characteristics are quite different from the first group. Students from this technical program tend to be selfish and individualist because they do not like group-work. Even though they are only 15 students, it is tedious to teach this group.
At this point is when you find one of the commonest challenges of the teacher: to recognize the diversity of each group and to find strategies according to your students’ needs and interests. It is here where I discovered one of the challenges that I will face during this practicum: to encourage the ADSI (software programming) and MCDIEC (computer maintenance) courses to learn English in different ways using their knowledge and interest in the process, transforming and using their capacities and talents to create and transform this practicum in a cooperative learning process.
Moreover, another challenge that I could find was the lack of technical knowledge that students had regarding technical English. During my observation week, I had the opportunity to observe some common class techniques, in this process I had the opportunity to talk with some instructors of other areas who argued that students need to learn more about technical vocabulary. One of the instructors expressed that the English taught at the SENA does not fulfill the needs of the institution; that is why I decided that my classes should be linked to the subjects and contents of the course. This is a real challenge because I will explore one field in which I have never had the opportunity to know about before. At this moment, I have the task to learn and investigate to create of each lesson plan. Besides this thematic, I discovered that my innovation plan will be focused on English for Specific Purpose and on encouraging my students of ADSI to work cooperatively through a project that they could use in the future as well as by the institution and by other students.
Journal III
Classroom management
Classroom management is defined as the methods and strategies an educator uses to maintain a classroom environment that is conducive to student success and learning. Although there are many pedagogical strategies involved in managing a classroom, a common denominator is making sure that students feel they are in an environment that allows them to achieve the learning goals. During this process, the strategies that I will use have to do with trying to encourage students to have another perspective about learning English through practical ways, where the main purpose is students playing with the language and learning vocabulary through the use of games and didactic methodologies.
In each class I have received positive feedback from my cooperating teacher, students and tutor told me that the class is well-organized, and the topic is appropriate for each course.
However, one of the main features of classroom management is the use of the English language during the class so that students are exposed to the target language. In some cases, I may feel intimidated or shy to use English all the class. Of course, I speak in English in class but not all the time since there is a feeling of being judged or criticized for the smallest mistake that I may make. besides, the constant gazes on me during class make me feel uncomfortable. However, I think it is normal to feel like that at this point in my teaching experience due to the fact that we are in the learning process.
Regarding the teacher's attitudes in class, I have to learn how to be more demanding and to restrict the number of options by being more clear and precise in my class objective because sometimes students do not understand the tasks. Therefore, the activities become confusing and the purpose of the class gets lost. Nevertheless, it is important to remember that each experience is an opportunity to improve.
Journal VI
The innovation plan
The main objective of my innovation plan is to use my students’ abilities and knowledge to create an application according to their main need which is to learn technical English from the practice. This application will be used to understand some terms that they use in the programming process. Therefore, this project will be focused on cooperative teaching and learning due to the fact that students from ADSI (software programming) program are characterized for being an individualist and selfish group. This means that they do not like to work in groups. However, through the implementation of this strategy, the group will be expected to become more united. These two factors are the essence of my project but for this challenge, I need to know what the procedure for creating a real application is.
Throughout this process, I was investigating what the procedure to do an app is; for that reason, the first thing that I did was a need diagnosis using surveys. The findings that I obtained were focused on learning technical English thought according to their technical program and based on working individually always using the ICTs as resources for learners. With these results, I can identify which the objectives, the problematics, and the possible strategies will be set.
However, there was a real problem, and this was that I do not know anything about software programming. With this problematic, I had to take some time to inquire of the teacher and students about the process that they are taking into account to create an application and the requirements for this. After having done that, I made a timetable where I negotiated with students about two main ideas: create an application for a real and specific problem about society or create an English application they could use in the future to understand terms that are unknown to them when they are programming. One of the things that I have learned is that technical language has another meaning from the students’ perspective. Those terminologies are perceived more like code than a language with specific meaning; that is why it is necessary to create this application they could use in their daily life and they would understand.
I presented those ideas and students chose the last one. The next step is to identify what the process to create the application is. Hence, for this step, I explored the process of the application with the technical trainers and students themselves. At his point, they explained to me that this process is divided into the following stages: Planning, Analysing, Designing, Executing, and testing. Considering those steps, I decided to divide the learning process into three important stages:
The identification of my students:
- who are they? curriculum vitae and job interview.
- What means to be a programmer?
- Features and abilities to be a programmer. What can they do?
- Analysis:
- Brainstorming: to define the project.
- Process: timetable.
- To organize in the group the step to create the application.
2.1 Requirements:
- What does the customer need?
- What do programmers need?
- To define the objectives, price and characterizes of the application: (technical report)
- Development:
- Defining the responsibilities and tasks of each one.
1. database, 2. Design, 3. Programmer and guide works
The only thing I wish is the time will be enough to carry out this whole process.
Journal V
Improvised Classes
It is true that not matter if you planned the superclass, with the minimal problem or unexpected situation, everything could change; this was what happened this week. During this week I had planned to evaluate the course of computer maintenance, they had to create their dream computer and present it in a technical report presentation. One of the assessment strategies that are used at the SENA is the blackboard platform; nonetheless, the ones allowed to manage this platform are the instructors. My cooperating teacher decided to share a worksheet on the platform and for learners to work on some tasks. But that day, when I had only planned to listen to the students’ presentations a warming up activity, my cooperating teacher told me that she did not send the worksheet so students were available to work on something else. The situation was stressful because this day my tutor had decided to go and observe me. How would I present something totally different from what she has evaluated before?
However, I could act according to the situation and implement different activities and strategies that I did not use before, transforming this class into a successful one because it was the opportunity to face a problem and find a solution according to the situation. As a result, in this class, I worked with the students’ creativity and imagination.
Besides, this situation help me to know more about my students’ abilities by discovering the great level of imagination they have. In this case, one of the problems that I had to deal with is my cooperating teacher’s attitude, she wants to have control over the classroom and then she does not allow me to fulfill my role as a teacher. For that reason, I decided to take action and have control over the class in an implicit way. For doing so, I obtained the students’ list so that it will allow me to have a better classroom management.
Journal VI
Feeling lost
Being a teacher is difficult; however, it is more difficult when you do not feel sure about the process you are carrying out. To be more specific, I am talking about the innovation plan, which makes me feel frustrated because I do not know if the process that I am developing is right. Firstly, my cooperating English teacher is always more focused on teaching a common English class and not an English for Specific Purposes class. Besides, I did not have the opportunity to talk with the technical trainers and the information about different resources like journals, books, and other sources seem Chinese to me.
To compare both courses, I feel more comfortable with the maintenance computer group because I am more familiar with the parts of a computer since I know about the topic or at least have some ideas about it. Nevertheless, with the course of software programming, it is a totally different and unknown reality; no matter how much I read and study, I cannot understand it.
For the moment, I am only focused on establishing the purpose and the requirements to create the application. Regarding the cooperative work, students have expressed that even though they are not used to work in a group, they are learning to be more tolerant and patient with their classmates. Well, at least I could say that I am accomplishing one the main purposes of my teaching practicum.
Journal VII
MOTIVATION
This week, I only had a class with a course where I feel uncomfortable. In this session, I had the opportunity to get closer to them. Talking to my students, they expressed that this process in the technical course has been difficult because of the constant changes of the teacher. When they started the course, there was a good teacher who has didactic and vocation to teach but the institution decides to change him. The new teacher does not have a good methodology, the class is boring and monotonous. So, they are used to make and complete activities and workshops. For that reason, they argued that it is difficult to follow the pace of my active and different classes. It is good, as a teacher, to know the perspective that students have about your classes and to know some of the reasons why they are individualists.
Understanding their perception, they were more motivated following the instructions, working on the activities, and more active in class participation. During this class, we could determine the objectives and features of the project. In this negation and clarification, the environment was different because they felt part of the process so they showed enthusiasm and motivation towards this project.
Understanding their perception, they were more motivated following the instructions, working on the activities, and more active in class participation. During this class, we could determine the objectives and features of the project. In this negation and clarification, the environment was different because they felt part of the process so they showed enthusiasm and motivation towards this project.
Journal VIII
ASSESSMENT
This week I had the opportunity to do the assessment. This is a key component of the learning process because it helps both the student and the teacher to improve the learning process. Aside from the assessment, I, as a teacher, could identify my weaknesses and had the opportunity to improve my methodology and strategies. One of the commonest problems that I found was working on pronunciation skills. Another factor of the assessment was that I could realize that students are satisfied with the class because the quality of the works and presentations was high. I could notice creativity all the effort and dedication they put on doing this. This showed me that I am doing a good job.
Journal IX
Cooperating Teachers
There are two types of cooperating teacher, there is the teacher who does not interrupt the class; they only observe and at the end of the class, they take their time to give proper suggestions and advice to improve the teaching process for the next time. On the other hand, there is the teacher who is not willing to lose the control over the class. This kind of teacher frequently tries to control the activity, takes the time of the class make their own interventions, and gives orders and instructions in class. Despite the student-teacher gives the instructions, this type of cooperating teacher feels the necessity to have the last word; however, at the end, does not say anything about the class and only says goodbye. I have the challenge to deal with the second kind of cooperating teacher and this is a little disappointing and frustrating since I always think she is going to say something about the class and provide some kind of advice for me to improve; nevertheless, she says nothing about the matter.
In this sense, I want to reflect on those types of cooperating teachers, who possess different attitudes and performances that I could appreciate in this practicum. During this teaching experience, I have two cooperating teachers. One of them was totally impartial when I am teaching; nonetheless, at the end of the class, he gives me some suggestions to improve and I have the opportunity to reflect about each class with this teacher. In addition, he recommended me some strategies that I can follow to carry out my innovation project.
On the contrary, my other cooperating teacher asked me to send her the materials and lesson plans in advance, something that was not necessary with my other cooperating teacher. Something that I don’t like is that during the sessions, while I give the instructions for the activities, she takes the control over the time and in some cases she changes the instructions that I just gave provoking a complete confusion in the students about the activities that they have to complete or do. In the end, I waited for feedback or some suggestion, but she only said goodbye.
I had to admit that in the first moment, the second teacher’s attitude was annoying for me. I took this attitude as an advantage to give students two different perspectives from which to learn in class. From my part, I want students to learn from a cooperative learning environment, which I consider allows students to construct their own knowledge and the role of the teacher tends to be less intrusive in the learning process.
To conclude this reflection I would like to say that the cooperating teacher is the support that you as a student-teacher may see as an opportunity to learn or as a problem to face and I decided to learn from them.
Journal X
Surprise
During weeks 10 and 11, due to academic events classes were difficult to be carried out. However, my cooperating teacher helped with the development of the last part of my innovation project. He gave tasks to each student and when I arrived at those academic events, I was gratefully surprised because students from the programming software group were developing the application. My initial plan was to have at least the mockups of the application, but when I asked about the process, students were able to program the application completely. They presented their advance and the process they did in each task and group. Despite the fact that they did not like to work in groups, they were able to work in a cooperative way to achieve the project and expressed their satisfaction with the work.
This last class with the ADSI was surprising because I could notice that the work I did was worthy. Besides, the advice from my cooperating teacher helped me to achieve good and meaningful practicum experiences.
I can say that my students were the main characters of this process because they were able to create a nice learning environment since what I did was only to take into account their needs and necessities and register those topics in the syllabus. I helped to the creation of an environment in which English was a constant game for them.
JOURNAL 11
Students’ perspectives about my
performance as teacher
In the last week, I had the opportunity to recognize the
perspectives of my students about my performance as a teacher. For this last
reflection, I had to complete a worksheet about reflective teaching which helps
me to understand my identity as a teacher. In this process, I had to make a
reflective process to recognize the perspective of my students about my
performance.
With the course of maintained computer, I made a survey in
which I asked students about the characteristics of the ideal teacher, what of
those characteristics they could perceive in their student-teacher, and other
questions about positive and negative aspects of the class. In this group, the
result was satisfactory for me because their answers highlighted my effort to
do dynamic and appropriate classes according to their technical knowledge.
Besides, some students argued that I have social and communicative skills. This
perception was a surprise for me because I never consider having these
abilities in class and not alone as a teacher because I try not to get involved
in some issues that are not of my concern.
On the other hand, with the programming software group, I
experimented with other approaches to reflect and this was the group focus. I
only asked one question, which was about what they liked during this learning
process. The learners answered “me gusto la manera en la que usted dio la clase
de una manera dinámica hasta infantil, no estábamos acostumbrados a tener
clases donde solo hicimos codificación o llenábamos guías” another student said
me “ me gustaría sugerirle que sea más precisa y no de tanto rodeo en dar las
instrucciones.” This
suggestion was the same that I received from a classmate from the reflective
teaching class and from my cooperating teacher in several opportunities. Another
comment that surprised was: “con usted aprendimos a trabajar en grupo, durante
los casi dos años que llevamos estudiando este técnico fue la primera vez que
salimos de nuestra zona de confort y nos enfrentamos a trabajar con otras
personas, fue difícil, pero al final lo logramos”
Finally, it is nice to know that in this process I could
achieve my purpose, discover my strengths as a teacher, and allow the students
to learn in practical and dynamic ways. I think that the key to accomplish this
is teaching as I would like to learn so that students could enjoy the process.










I just read your second journal, I think is so interesting to read about your impression of this group since they aren’t guys from elementary or high school
ReplyDeleteDear Camila,
ReplyDeleteI loved your blog. Great job! I hope you keep understanding yourself as a professional so that reflection can lead you to orientate your teaching practices in a manner that can be benefitial for both, your students and yourself. :)